This is a re-post of another very popular post for Lent:
Want to spend some time praying the scriptures this Lent, but don’t know where to start? The Liturgy is wrought with meaningful verses to encourage us to deepen our understanding of the Lord’s sacrifice, to open and convert out hearts and renew our commitment to the Lord.
Here is a small compilation of scripture verses to help get you meditating on the Holy Word God:
1. “Your ways, O Lord, make known to me; teach me your paths.” Psalm 25:4
2. “A clean heart create in me, O God, and a steadfast spirit renew within me.” Psalm 51 12
3. “Return, O Israel, to the Lord, your God; you have collapsed through your guilt. Take with you words, and return to the Lord.” Hosea 14:2-3
4. “Yet even now, says the Lord, return to me with your whole heart, with fasting, and weeping, and mourning; Rend your hearts, not your garments, and return to the Lord, your God.” Joel 2:12-13
5. “Stop judging, that you may not be judged. For as you judge, so will you be judged, and the measure with which you measure will be measured out to you.” Matthew 7:1-2
6. “He released Barabbas to them, and after having Him scourged, he handed him over to be crucified.” Matthew 27:26
7. “The Son of Man must suffer greatly and be rejected by the elders, the chief priests, and the scribes, and be killed and on the third day be raised.” Luke 9:22
8. “If anyone wishes to come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.” Luke 9:23
9. “Jesus wept.” John 11:35
10. “God proves His love for us in that while we were still sinners Christ died for us.” Romans 5:8
I can’t resist adding these two more:
11. “Though He was in the form of God, Jesus did not regard equality with God something to be grasped at. Rather, He emptied Himself, taking the form of a slave, coming in human likeness; and found in human appearance, he humbled himself, becoming obedient to death, even to death on a cross.” Philippians 2:6-8
12. “Judgment is merciless to one who has not shown mercy; mercy triumphs over judgment.” James 2:13
What favorite scripture verses do you like to pray over during Lent?
P. S. In case you want to print these verses to pray over them, I created a .pdf file to make it easier for you. You can get the printout here: Scripture Verses for Lent.