What is corn pone, you ask? It is a delicious hybrid of corn bread and corn pudding! I was given this recipe several years ago in Ohio by my friend Rita, who was staying with us while going to graduate school.
This tastes just as good at room temperature as it does straight out of the oven, so it is perfect for taking to picnics or barbecues. The corn pone is usually a big hit when I serve it, so I think you’ll really like it! 🙂
Here’s a picture of this tasty dish:
Recipe: Corn Pone
- 1 Can whole kernel corn (with juice)
- 1 Can creamed corn
- 2 Eggs
- 8oz Sour cream
- 1 Stick melted butter
- 1 Box corn muffin mix (Jiffy brand size)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray 9×13 pan with non-stick spray.
- In medium bowl, combine together first 5 ingredients.
- Mix in the corn muffin mix.
- Pour mixture into pan and bake about 30 minutes or until center stops shaking.
You don’t want the corn pone to be too “done” like corn bread or too “wet” like corn pudding; so, check after 25 minutes or so. The center should be gently solid and the top golden.
According to Rita, you can use fresh corn for this recipe if you want. Just cut the corn off four large ears of corn and omit the creamed corn. Follow the rest of the recipe as is. (I’ve actually never tried it with the fresh corn myself, though.)
(BTW: Did you can get a free recipe book from Jiffy here. You can get the corn muffin mix – and many of their other mixes – for under a dollar and the recipes I’ve tried so far have been easy to make and rather tasty.)
Other Recipes you might like: