This is a recipe that I got from my friend, Sherine, a few years ago. It is a wonderful way to use up leftover mashed potatoes.
Recipe: Potato Pancakes
- 16 oz frozen corn kernels, thawed (or 2 cups fresh corn kernels cut off the cob).
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup green onions (scallions), chopped small
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cup cooked mashed potatoes
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoons pepper
- Cook corn, onion and scallions in vegetable over medium-high heat until crisp-tender (about 5 minutes or so). Remove from heat.
- Combine potatoes, flour, and eggs in a large bowl.
- Add corn mixture, salt and pepper. Stir well.
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and place over medium heat until hot.
- Drop potato mixture by 1/4 cup-fuls into skillet.
- Cook 2-3 minutes per side (or until golden).
- Re-coat skillet before cooking next batch.
- Adjust temperature as needed to avoid burning.
- Makes 18 (2″) potato pancakes.
- Sherine suggestions serving these with salsa. They are equally good served with sour cream and/or apple sauce.
(Linked to Recipe Roundtable.)